Saturday, September 20, 2008

"There may not be a future!"

I am totally on board with the need to get Obama elected. There's no need to yell at me about it, N*RAL! Here's the conversation I had today:

As the Lulu would say, telephone ringers!

Me: Hello, Hello...Hello?

Her: Hello Ms. S. My name is so and so and I am a paid fundraiser for N*RAL. I won't take much of your time...

Me: That's ok. I have given in the past, but i can't do more right now.

Note...I am giving directly to the campaign, to PP's local and national action fund, PLUS I am phonebanking next month...

Me: I am sure I will give again in the future.

Her: Ma'am we need you now.

Me: Listen, I work for PP, and am giving to them and the Obama campaign directly right now.

Her: If things keep going they way they are going...THERE MAY NOT BE A FUTURE.

This was YELLED at me. Let me give a little lesson in fundraising: Never argue with the donor. And overdramatizing is not helpful...There WILL be a future. We may just not like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a woman who spends her whole day on the phone making nice with people, allow me to say what she should have said..."Oh, you work for PP! Thanks so much for all you're doing right now, and we look forward to your contributions in the future."
I'm more worried about the future of phonebanking based on that gal's attitude...

Helena Basket said...

It is certainly possible that the telemarketing gurus had you segmented into a group upon whom they are testing a fear message. If pressing the fear button works so well for current POTUS, why not for N@RAL? (Full disclosure: I am proud to have been part of the Washington, DC N&RAL major gifts machine in 1991 and 1992 during the first Clinton presidential campaign.) Hey, it's fun to type N#RAL. N$RAL! N^RAL! Oh, my...