Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Off the Market

Though I threatened to sell her earlier today, the Lulu is off the market. Because she is asleep. And lordy me, when she is asleep it erases all the whining and crying and hitting and screaming off the previous 14 hours. Thank goodness. Unless she is sleeping in my bed, with her feet in my chin as she did last night.

We are in need of a form of discipline that actually works. When your kid offers to take a time out, thinking it means she can go on being bad, you start to doubt the efficacy of your methods. So I did what any modern woman does and I went to the two best sources of parenting info...the interwebs and the grandma. Both said to threaten to take away something meaningful. So that's what I did..."If you get out of bed, I will come in and take away your magic lamp." Who knew that she thinks her dad got it for her...all the better! After telling me that Daddy would be mad if I took it away and "I will tell Daddy you the mean manager" (the mean manager? really? where do they come up with this shit?) she finally understood that she could keep magic lamp if she just stayed in bed. Brilliant.

It worked. For tonight anyway. And that's all that matters.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

No advice, just sympathy. I'm glad you found something that works even if it temporary.