Thursday, January 15, 2009

When it rains...

Sub zero temps and Bill in Rhode Island on a hunting trip: not a good combination. Last night at 11 I heard the heat come on, But 10 minutes later I realized it was no longer on. A trip to the thermostat confirmed my sinking feeling: no heat. So I called the furnace company and then Bill. Only one of those phones was answered, and Bill asked me what he wanted him to do. I hated to have him come home, so I insisted he stay. We toughed it out on the couch all night and the furnace guy called me back at 8am (and he had tried to call in the night, but wrote our number down wrong.) He came, he saw, he fixed. Not ten minutes after he left, I was on the phone with Bill, shutting off the space heater in the bathroom, when I heard POURING water. A deluge on my washing machine. Which froze when it hit the floor. (NB: If you come to visit you must bring slippers...) "COME HOME!"

Now the split pipe is fixed, thanks to our pal Tom. I feel bad that Bill called off the last 3 days of his hunt, but it is not getting any warmer and Eva peed her pants three times between 8 and 10. I've had enough.

No comments: