Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One for the Ethicist...or Miss Manners

So I am going to be pretty vague here because I work and live in a small community...

Today I was in a public place and there was a group of 10 or so teenagers, mostly female, near me. They were talking about a friend who thinks she might be pregnant and a back and forth ensued about whether or not she could get an abortion without her parents knowing. I think. I wasn't THAT close. But clearly they were talking about the logistics and legality of abortion. And I just happen to know ALL about that. Because that is my job. I was really torn about what to do...should I jump in the conversation or not?

In the end, I just walked away because I realized that I am totally going to come off like a buttinsky pain in the ass know it all mom type I say anything. And also, eavesdropping? Totally rude. And also as an employee of the local abortion provider, I was a little worried about raising concerns about confidentiality. I am tempted to go leave a few copies of "A Minor's Right to Reproductive Health Care in New York" in the general area.

What would you have done?

8 comments:

Laura Hooker said...

If I had the balls to I would have...gone to Jimmies, bought a whole lot of condoms, handed them to them with your pamphlet, and told them that if she had any concerns to call the office! But in actuality I would have walked away...

Briar said...

Not the same thing, but I always jump into conversations about A) children's books when people are searching for info in a book store and B) trans stuff if people are spouting misinformation. I have been well-received.

If I could have gathered courage, I think jumping in could have been good. They may have rolled their eyes and laughed at you, but the info might have gone where it needed to go.

Helena Basket said...

I would have walked away also, for the reasons you describe. And then gone to the office and checked if PP's outreach in the area is adequate, if you could reassure yourself that those girls did have access to the info they needed. I realize that in this rural place, that's possibly impossible. Does it make you want to get into the public school system as a speaker? Teens would love you, I think, especially if you are wearing skinny jeans.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Martha said...

So sad that Anonymous commenters aren't secure enough in his or her convictions to not be anonymous. This is my world, so I am happy to delete anti-choice comments if I feel like it!

Anonymous said...

"This is my world"

You can run from reality, toots, but you can't hide.

Martha said...

That one was too good to delete!

Christa said...

This one's tough - they didn't ask...leave the brochures. Back in the day, I had one on me ALL the time. (See why I got so popular?)

Oh and off topic - cute dinosaurs!:) and you ROCK for running! I'm almost inspired to start myself. almost.