Friday, February 13, 2009

Contraceptive Contraption Conundrum

Today I went to the ob's office to get myself 5 years of worry free contraception. And I ended up with just over 5 minutes of worry free contraception. I has a mirena inserted, but unfortunately my uterus is tipped in such away that the doc couldn't place it properly. It actually went into the muscle wall of the uterus and had to be removed, so it wouldn't, you know, migrate into my abdominal cavity. So much for that. She said we could try again after more time has passed post-partum, but by then Bill should have had the Big V. I refuse to go back on the pill, for the sake of my milk. And the mini-pill is not an option I got pregnant on it when Eva was 9 months old (I knew I was pregnant for a day, and then miscarried.) So it's back to condoms. Which I got pregnant while NOT always using when Eva was 6 months old. This time Bill will be more diligent. I have baby fever and can not be trusted! But I am letting cooler heads prevail and sticking with 2, thank you.

But all this leads me to ask a question we often discuss at my office...how is it that there is no perfect form of birth control for me right now? And by for me, I also mean for a huge number of women in this world. Yes, there are wonderful technologies, but they aren't 100% effective and there are many reasons why individual women can't use any number of them. I have friends who have latex allergies, who can't use hormones, who don't want permanent sterilization, who have funny shaped uteri...We all struggle to find the pill that makes us not crazy or fat, to find a spermicide that doesn't cause burning, to find a method that okay until we quit smoking, to convince a doc to give us an IUD or tie our tubes even though we've never had kids, Then we have to deal with assholes judging our choices made from limited options. Fuck that shit.

Gee, maybe it is time for me to get to work and channel this anger into good.

3 comments:

Christa said...

Love this post - and I say - amen, sister-friend! Hope all is well with your littles - they are so adorable!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen said...

I know so many women aren't blessed with husbands who desire to make their lives easier. Mine has told me from the beginning that he will get the snip snip once we're finished having kids. This is directly related to his father refusing to do so for his mom, I'm sure. It's so nice to know men who don't tie their manhood so closely to their sperm.