Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mama's Got A Brand New Bag

I am addicted to totes. I rationalize them as diaper bags, but really I couldn't give a crap whether or not they work as such. If they are cute and tote-y...I want. My requirements...roomy, but not too big. And also with a long enough handle to go over my shoulder. I just got a new one from my lovely new friend Laura. She and other new friend Julia (who happens to be her sister) sell their wares here. But if you are lucky like me you can go to the source.

But here's the problem. I really get new bags because the old ones get too full of crap to use.

Here they are. The new one is front and center.

And the contents.

Bag 1:



I bring this one to work every day...breastpump valves, bottle caps, tshirts for an Assemblymember's children, emergency soup?, granola bar, half finished bottle of water, flashlights.

This is my life people!



In the other bags? Diapers, diapers, diapers. Wipes. Car adapter for an unknown appliance, not breastpump. Tissues. Toys. Waylon's socks. My socks. Mittens for Eva. Baby shoes. Lint. Receipts. Crap. Well, hey there spare car keys! I need to go spend that gift card from Bath and Body Works. Merry Xmas! Really really pretty stationery wrap from Julia (see above link for shop!)

I had no idea what was in these. And I bring at least one with me wherever I go. Sometime two. Like today. When I brought 2 totes of useless junk to work. But left the breastpump at home.

Something tells me I am a candidate for about 5 different cable tv makeover shows...(Probably more, but I cropped out the rest of clutter from the pictures, so you'll never know!)

7 comments:

Laura Hooker said...

OMG! Martha you are a riot! Love the bag contents, very assorted and functional! So glad you like the bag. I am bag-a-holic also, part of the reason I began making them! Happy bagging! Laura

Anonymous said...

Martha, you are the best! I love you. I was laughing at this, of course my brief cases are all extremely neat and well organized!

DAD

Anonymous said...

You are too funny Martha.

Aside from the piles of pretty bags that I have for purses I also have bought 20+ (I am not kidding) of those re-useable grocery bags from Price Chopper.
And I have them FILLED all over my house with CRAP. I bring them to the beach, clean out the car with them, put clothes that the boys have outgrown in them.... everything BUT go to the grocery store with them.

We should have a bags anonymous meeting at Laura's house STAT.

I'll bring the Woodchuck.

Zoe said...

I am shocked to see not even one of my biggest bag crap offenders: receipts. I have handbags lined with receipts, and a smattering of tissues.

Martha said...

Zoe - I didn't mention the receipts, but oh, they are there!!! Wrapped in cloth diapers.

Jules and Laura - I think our first Bags Anonymous Meeting should also involve admitting that we are powerless over what children put in our purses. Right now naked Ariel is sitting in my purse, wrapped in Waylon's baby hat. I was told to bring her into the office "Take her picture." She will remain in my purse for days, I am sure!

Dad...it must be genetic.

Vicky said...

I'm guilty of this too. I love totes and I'm always carrying too much stuff.

Janet said...

EEK! I too am a bag freak. BUT unlike you guys, I just collect them and then put nothing in them and forget to use them. I have a few Giani Bernini bags, small and large and in beautiful colors, quilted bags and a nice Express bag, which is the one I actually use. Today at the grocery store I got paper in plastic and hoarded about 10 paper bags when no one was looking. What for? I line my trunk with them. I already had enough in there, now there's another layer...I also collect bags from the wildlife federation and other causes that offer them to me for a small fee and hang them in a the closet with the other bags I don't use. Then there are the ones for groceries that I forget to bring to the store. The only ones I hate are the ones that vegetables come in. I keep telling my mother I will take her regular plastic bags but don't put those veg bags in with them. She always does though, and folds them. ... Like I won't notice.