Thursday, March 12, 2009

Making an Effort

When E was 9 months old I wrote this on my blog...

"I've been trying to Make An Effort. You know, actually put some product in my hair, wear shoes with heels (instead on Danskos everyday), dress semi-professionally. And I think it's working. This, along with the weight loss, is making me feel a little better about myself. Because my self-image since becoming a mom is at an all time low...probably because so much of my life has been tied to my body since April of last year. When you are pregnant its ALL about the body and how much you've gained and how big you look and how you feel and so on. Then, the nursing business, which I've written about before. Team that with how you feel physically when sleep deprived and you've got a match made in hell. I've been in mourning lately for the body I never really enjoyed when I had it. I used to brush off compliments, and was never that comfortable showing off my assets, as it were. And now I wish I had revelled in that hot bod! So I need to start being happier with the one I have now, which gets better everyday. I just wish I could shrink my belly skin the way you shrink a sweater...If I could take a hot shower and then hit my tummy with the blowdryer and make it tight again, that would be awesome.

I took me every minute of those 9 months to get where I am less than 3 months after Way's birth. It's a total change in expectations, I think. And also a different pregnancy and 20 lbs less weight gain. I just wish we weren't broke now so I could buy clothes. I anm trying to be creative with the 10 things that fit, but I'm no stylist.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adirondack fly fishing legend Fran Betters is ill, and asks for help in selling his shop and asks that, if you want one his hand-built rods, to buy one now. Been to his place a number of times over the years. Always in that chair, tying flies or building rods, with his wife in attendance. A crusty codger with a good heart.

Read his poignant letter at his site.

If you fish, buy something from the old fellow to help put his mind at ease. Even a few flies. Fran invented the famous Ausable Wulff. A good wet fly.

Laura Hooker said...

Martha...Are you on Facebook? If so I am too, and I started a weight loss group on there for Mommas trying to get back to their pre-pregnancy body/shape! Let me know...Laura

Here is the link...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=57426840129

just ask to join under the picture for the group

Hope to see you there! Good luck with the weight loss! I know how you feel! Laura

Martha said...

The Wulff is a good dry fly, actually!

Vicky said...

Good for you on the weight loss. I'm still working on that almost 2 years later. Ugghh.