Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My house is my own.

It's ours. Finally, truly and totally ours. The deed has been filed and it is in our name.

Bill bought the house before I met him. But he didn't really buy it. He basically entered into what they call a land contract: which is the opposite of a mortgage in that you only get title at the end. But he also did it over a handshake. With someone I don't trust. And the house was not only in that person's name. No matter: they all signed, even though we are sure the second party never got a penny of the $40k we paid. Yes. We paid $40k for our house. It is a shithole. But it's OUR shithole. And I expect we could sell it for 3 times what we paid. So we love the shithole. And we love it even more now that our names are on the deed!!

And there is also a big ole pile of firewood out front. With two more piles to come.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats!!

Signmaker said...

Well done, envious of the pile of logs - keep warm!

Christa said...

Whoo-hoo! Yayyy for shitholes!

Vicky said...

Congrats.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic thing--a deed with your names on it free and clear. May we all live long enough to know that feeling. And equity--just the sound of it smells beautiful.

Piles of wood? You can afford that many piles? See--with no mortgage payment the money just sits there, waiting to be spent. She wants me to take another load as soon as I can find a place for it--"I'm not worried about no money" Huh?