Saturday, October 18, 2008

Virginia is for Lovers (Mostly)

I spent my afternoon volunteering with the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, calling voters in Virginia. We use a great phone banking system that dials for you and puts your script right on the computer screen...it makes the time go much faster, since you don't have to listen to busy signals or, for the most part, answering machines. (A few of those do sneak through!)

I loved calling Virginia because EVERYONE was polite. No one hung up on me, not even the folks who obviously disagreed with my stance on choice. I did have one crazy lady who went on about Sarah Palin's "mongoloid baby" and how she wasn't going to vote for "Barry." At least she was nice to me.

My favorite call was to an elderly woman who called me Miss Martha and said she hoped to see me at the polls on November 4th, because she isn't going to miss it for the world.

I feel really good about spending my afternoon talking to folks!

And after that as over I visited our BRAND NEW Target. Finally, an alternative to Walmart and the run-down KMart. I spent way too much money, but I did find Eva some real clothes that can double as her "princess ghost" costume. and I bought a pack of newborn diapers to use on the Boy until his cord heals. (At least with Eva, the cloth diapers always seemed to hit her in just the wrong spot, and irritated her belly.) I feel satisfied. Especially since my mom is currently handing bed time duty and my feet are up on the coffee table.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Princess ghost huh? Interesting. I love Target way too much. Say hi to mom for me.